The TRT Games Arena
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL NEW AND FORMER TRT MEMEMBERS.
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 2:35 pm by KingofDarknessAang

» A hello/goodbye and an apology
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 am by Bananaman

» hey guys im back and ready to attack!!
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 7:04 pm by KingofDarknessAang

» TR School PT 2
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 11:12 pm by KingofDarknessAang

» One last Message from an Old Friend
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 3:25 am by Jake

» TRT..
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 pm by ChickenHunter

» Try and get Mumble to come back
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 pm by Mumbleortiz5

» WoRd PlAy- a word game by BK
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 1:31 am by Jake

» Hello, again.
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 9:21 pm by Jake

» TRT Awards 2010: the results
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 2:04 pm by KingofDarknessAang

» The Rise and Fall of Chatserv: Amerikaanse Varken Versie
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 am by ponycrazy12

» The Final Thread
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 am by Aarbenhar

» NEW FORUM LIVE!
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 am by Sir Gamealot

» Bye. Forever.
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 5:19 pm by Seastella!

» Post The Song In Your Head
The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 pm by Cowzrock

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 49 on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:54 am

The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek

3 posters

Go down

The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek Empty The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek

Post by Jordan101011 Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:49 pm

This was actually an assignment I had for Geography class, and I went a lil overboard writing this. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

March 15, 2010
I got a letter in the mail. I was invited to join the Yanomami people for their annual trek! I was so excited. I was ecstatic; I knew I was going to have so much fun. I was to leave for the plane bright and early tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM. That was pretty early, but I didn’t care; I knew I was going to have the best time of my life. It was late when I got the letter, so I ate dinner, took a shower, and packed for the trip. Then, I went to bed. It took me a little longer to go to sleep than normal, thinking about all the things I was going to encounter, but after imagining what was going to happen, I fell asleep.

March 16, 2010 4:15 AM
I woke up, psyched and ready to go. I had about 15 minutes before we had to leave to catch the plane. I just watched some Television, after eating breakfast, eagerly waiting to leave. I couldn’t wait, I was so excited.
4:30 AM
We left for the airport; I could feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins. This was going to be one of the greatest adventures of all time, or at least for me. It was a 30 minute drive to the airport. I brought my iPod so I could listen to music. The time went by fast, before I knew it we had already reached the airport. I got out of my door, and walked in into the airport with my mom, walked to the front desk, and got my ticket.
We sat in the lobby for a few minutes, and then, the intercom came on and announced that the flight to Yanomami was ready to go. I gave a quick hug and kiss to my mom, knowing that I’d be gone for a while. When I was walking through the door, I could see tears streaming down her face. I felt bad for her; she wasn’t going to see me in months at least. It was just as hard for me as it was for her. I was just hoping that’d I’d come back safe and for them to be happy and healthy.
I walked onto the plane, got my seat, and showed the lady my ticket. She told me that the flight was going to take approximately 6 hours. I laid down in my seat, buckled my belt, and took a little nap.
11:00 AM
We arrived to the island, it wasn’t very large. I got my luggage, and walked out. There was a fresh smell to the environment around me. It smelled like fresh trees and fruit.
I got to the village; I was shocked by the small amount of people in the village. The number of people there was ranged from 50 to 100. I kept walking, looking around anxiously, and eyeing all the nature and the beauty of the rain forests. You could hear the talking of the forest animals and the chirping of the birds; most beautiful sound ever!
I decided to look around some more. I could see the Yanomami people carrying bananas, fruits, and chunks of meat. That was their main food supply. When they were walking, carrying the huge loads of food; I felt a bit uneasy because most of the people in the village kept staring at me. I assumed that they weren’t very used to newcomers.
I had heard they were about to start another trek. I knew that it’d be best to not stray from the path, or it could be the last of me. They have to able to find a good campsite, or they have to start looking again. They are supposed to keep looking until they could find a good spot, or at least, that’s what I researched.
I set to sleep; it took a while because I knew that I wasn’t able to good or anything or the whole village could suffer and it would all be my fault. After at least hours I’ve trying to sleep on the cold, hard ground, full of anxiety, I silently dozed..

March 17, 2010 4:45 AM
I woke up, hearing the orders being shouted and stampeding of the Yanomami people. It took me a few minutes to remember where I was, since I was so tired, but I knew this was the day. We were starting the great adventure known as the trek. I couldn’t wait for it to begin. I got up and walked out of my little village hut, and walked to the group of guys gathering spears, bows and arrows, poison darts, and other various weapons. I was hoping that they wouldn’t make me handle any of the weapons.
After following some of the guys, I figured it would take just about an hour or so to reach the right campsite. I soon realized that I was wrong. Hours had gone by. I was wondering how long it was going to take. The hunters had gotten a couple animals on the way. I kept wondering how much longer it was going to take. I was getting a bit irritable.
After countless hours of walking, we had finally arrived to a good campsite, or at least I figured it would be good enough, but who was I to judge. They all stopped immediately, knowing instantly that it was the right spot; I however didn’t realize it until they had all stopped to settle in. Now the fun beings, who knows what’s in store?
The Yanomami people talked amongst themselves, but of course, I couldn’t understand one word of it. I felt out of place, but I knew I was anyway. It was getting late and you could still hear some of the animals. You could only see some of the stars through the thick leaves of the forest. Occasionally, if you looked hard enough, you could see a bird flying in the sky. I was amazed at the sight, but I was tired, so I decided to go ahead and go to sleep, but instead, I waited to see where we were to sleep.
After gazing in awe at the amazing environment around me, I saw a couple of them gather around near the center of where they had settled. I had figured I should go ahead and check out what they were doing. When I got there I noticed that they were about to start eating. They were going to eat some bananas from some nearby trees, some meat from the animals they had killed on the way there, and some weird looking plants, leaves, and fruit.
I sat down near some of the natives. We were to go up and get the food we wanted ourselves. I supposed we were to eat with our hands, I was just hoping that none of the plants and leaves that I was going to eat was poisonous. I got up and got my food; I went back to where I was sitting and I ate my dinner silently and alone. I decided to eat some bananas, some plants, and a piece of fish. It was an okay meal, I was just a bit cautious about eating the plants, but I was sure that the Yanomami people meant no harm to me or any other member of the clan. I sat down, and ate my food. It was quite good actually.
I finished eating and I got up and threw the remains of my food in a nearby bush. I walked away, slowly, daydreaming of what could possibly happen next on this great journey.
When everyone was done eating, I just went to a tree, and sat there. I just had to think some things through, but after a while, all the villagers were shrieking and panicking. Apparently, one of the members was from a different clan and was planning on stealing everything that they had with them. When I arrived to the horrid scene, I saw the traitor tied to a tree, and one of the guys had a spear ready in his hand. I was afraid of what I was about to see, so quickly walked away. After I walked off, I heard a scream of terror, and then I heard the cheering of the natives. I didn’t have to be there to know what had happened. Now I knew that I had to be extra careful, or the villagers would think I had betrayed them, and then, I’d be gone. I sighed, and then kept on walking.
After the tragic event that had occurred, I decided to head on to sleep. The trick was, I had to find out where we were going to sleep.
I walked around for a bit, and then saw some of the villagers sleeping on cold, hard ground. I shuddered, knowing that I had to sleep on the ground.
Seeing some of the natives sleeping on the ground made me feel a bit more confident, knowing that if they could do it, I could too, so I went to go find a good place to sleep, trying to stay within the camp grounds. I was lucky enough to find a nice, grassy area right outside the center of the grounds.
I lay down, covering myself with my jacket. It wasn’t the most comfortable thing in the world, but I knew that I had to suck it up and go to sleep, and that’s what I did.

March 18, 2010 5:30 AM
The second day of the many month trek. It had been an interesting journey so far, but I had figured that today would have a little bit more excitement than the previous day. I got up from the ground, which I didn’t have much trouble sleeping in. That was surprising but that was passed me.
I walked to the center of the campground, where most of them had already gathered for breakfast. I saw that the only had bananas. I wasn’t surprised; I already knew that that was their main source of food. They needed to save as much food as possible until they would get enough to feed their entire clan.
I sat down near the others, but ate my banana in total silence.
After they had eaten breakfast, they started socializing. For another time, I was left alone and I was only able to sit there. Surprisingly, someone started walking my way. They could speak English! I was so relieved! Even though they were a quite bit older than me it was still nice to have someone to talk to.
We started to talk some. We didn’t have anything to talk about, really. We just started talking about different topics and subjects. His name is David Andrews, he’s a father of three and is married and they live in Corpus, Texas. He’s a geographer as a living. He studied different people and the environments in which they live in. His kids’ ages are thirteen, a boy, eight, a girl, and four, another girl.
We talked for quite some time, but then we got interrupted by the villagers who suddenly stormed into the forest. David spoke their language. They were saying that they had to search for food and hunt for more animals. The children and their mothers were supposed to arrive with their families’ belongings. The trek was just beginning.
Everybody was running off, so we followed and made sure that we weren’t in the very back to keep from getting lost. That’s the last thing we wanted to happen.
We were handed spears and darts. David said they told us to be careful and to kill any animal that was to get in our way. I always had a strong feeling for animals, but I had to let that go. We were deep in the woods, and not one thing had gotten my attention. The hunt had to be good or else we would have to go looking for another campsite.
The clan all of a sudden started sprinting. I knew that we had found something. We had to run fast if we wanted to keep up. Suddenly, the group had stopped. It was a wild peccary, which is a type of pig. I got my spear ready, not sure why, though; I wasn’t going to get to do anything anyway. They had cornered it in every way possible. It was actually kind of sad, watching the poor peccary squeal knowing that his life was over. Then, one of the leading hunters got behind the peccary and swiftly jabbed the poor animal with his spear, putting a quick end to his life.
They tossed the dead peccary to one of the guys in the back. I was guessing that they were to carry the food so the main hunters wouldn’t get slowed down.
We wondered through the forest for some time, managing to catch a few animals on the way and get some plants and herbs that David said were used as medicine and remedies for the sick.
I was glad that there was at least some action along the way. Now the clan was heading back to the campgrounds. We had been walking for at least six, very gruesome hours. That meant that the trip was going to be just as long, or even longer. It was getting dark quick, so I was assuming that we were going to sleep in the woods. David overheard the Yanomami talking and he heard that we were indeed going to sleep in the woods, but w needed to find a good place first.
Where we were was very pretty, very quiet, and there was lots of room on the ground to sleep. Apparently, I had good instincts because they were planning on settling where we were. There was a good open place to eat, also.
Dinner had started faster than I thought, within five minutes of settling in, they had already starting eating. We were only eating bananas, trying to save the food we had collected. I didn’t mind; bananas are very nourishing, nutritious, and they tasted really good fresh off of the trees.
Dinner was over, so I wondered around for a good sleeping spot. I was enough to find the best spot with big, green leaves in the clear, starry sky. I settled in my little spot and realized David had picked a place not too far away from mine.
I was getting a little depressed knowing that such a great, fun-filled day was coming to an end. I knew that the next day was going to be just as fun, though. I bid the night a silent good night to the forest and this glorious day.

March 19, 2010 5:00 AM
When you wake up from a good night’s sleep, you feel dead, being so tired. We had settled to make it to our original campground to catch up with the mothers and children. We weren’t able to eat breakfast, there was just no time. The good news was that they had collected enough meat to feed the entire the clan, though.
We all headed off to the path to the campground. I was pretty excited to see all the families reunite.
3:56 PM
We finally made it to the camp, and all the women were too busy waiting for us to watch their children. As soon as everyone had entered the campgrounds, you could see tons of hugs while the families were getting back together.
Dinner was starting and everyone was dancing and having a great time. It was the one time that all the people weren’t tense and were having fun. While some of the men were planting the banana seed trees, the rest of us were eating. W would be back at their village once the banana trees were done and ready to harvest.
I left the clan while they were eating to go my sleeping spot. I took a nap and didn’t get up until the next morning, which wasn’t a big surprise because I was really tired of all the walking we had done.
March 20, 2010 5:30 AM
I woke up; I was used to the feeling of waking up there by then. Each day was getting easier and more fun. I was acquainted to calling the place home; I was having such a great time. Now the great journey is almost complete. And then we will go back once the banana trees were ready. Then, we had to go back to the village and the great adventure would be over. I bid you a pre-good bye, Yanomami people.

Please leave your comments.I will probably make a part two, that is, if you guys like it.
Jordan101011
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Number of posts : 980
Tracker Points : 6372
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek Empty Re: The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek

Post by Bananaman Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 pm

I liked it, pretty long though. I liked your descriptions in it. Like when you awake you feel dead. Brill stuff

Keep Writing.
Bananaman
Bananaman
Patience then Payback

Number of posts : 797
Tracker Points : 6839
Registration date : 2008-11-15

http://www.clubpenguin.com

Back to top Go down

The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek Empty Re: The Yanomami people of Venezuela - The First Trek

Post by Jordan101011 Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Thank you!
That means there will probably be a prt 2! (;
Jordan101011
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Acdog Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:58 pm

I honestly think you NEED to make a part 2. I live how they have to harvest the banana trees. I can coonect with this because I have to keep a journal of my daily events with me when I go to Europe. this is great expereince for me!

GREAT job!!!!!
Acdog
Acdog
Migrator's First-Mate
Migrator's First-Mate

Number of posts : 2131
Tracker Points : 7218
Registration date : 2008-10-12

http://acdog.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan101011 Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Thank you!
So I've decided that I'll probably make a part 2!
Jordan101011
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Acdog Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm

Probably? NO. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

YOU WILL.
Acdog
Acdog
Migrator's First-Mate
Migrator's First-Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan101011 Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Ok! I will! And I shall!
Jordan101011
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Acdog Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 pm

You shall do it NOW. But suggestion: A weeee tinny itty bitty wittle bit longer. lol.
Acdog
Acdog
Migrator's First-Mate
Migrator's First-Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan101011 Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Thought it was long enough.... lol
Jordan101011
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Acdog Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:35 am

O_O...I don't know what was wrong with me earlier. I could have SWORN I posted shorter........yea, I meant to say shorter. sorry,jordan. lol

It's an awesome story but it would be a tad bit better if the chapters were a weee bit shorter.
Acdog
Acdog
Migrator's First-Mate
Migrator's First-Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down