» NEW FORUM LIVE!
Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 am by Sir Gamealot

» Bye. Forever.
Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:19 pm by Seastella!

» Post The Song In Your Head
Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 pm by Cowzrock

» Are We Dead?
Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 am by ponycrazy12

» You know your obsessed with TRT when...
Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:26 am by ponycrazy12

» No-Fap-Feburary (GUYS ONLY)
Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:33 am by ponycrazy12

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 42 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:07 am

Good Day Sunshine

Go down

Good Day Sunshine

Post by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 am

Have you ever had a life changing experience with someone or something? I'm sure almost everyone has. Most peoples' look on life is changed by music and the arts. This is my story of how the art of music changed my life in a way. Or, more so how an album changed my whole perspective of things in general.

Today I was listening to one of the first albums I had ever gotten into, Revolver, and was reminded of how I felt the first time I listened to this album. The Beatles were the first band I ever got seriously into, and their album Revolver was the first album I ever really listened to. The album changed my general mood and take to life, and even changed my interests and personality. You're probably wondering, how can a rock group's album do that? Well, you have to understand the back story.
I was a brat when I hit puberty. Before then I was a straight A student that everyone loved, and up to 5th grade I was definitely at a high point, but then hormones kicked in and I become depressed, whiny, and very stupid. I began hanging out an out of touch group, and got in trouble a couple of times for vulgarity and cheatin' on assignments. This was very out of the norm for me, and the fact I did have a spiral down to this depressed me to an extreme. I didn't know why I was having such trouble living life, so I was always frustrated and angry. I still made decent grades, but was no longer a superb student like I used to be. I didn't really listen to music, other than the stuff my parents or brother played. I was definitely a music whore like most people today, following and never understanding music or what makes good music. I listened to only pop songs that everyone else listened to, but that never made me happy. I didn't know what I was to do with myself, or what I was meant to be. I began my trouble of being a loner, which still haunts me today, and became very anti-social. This continued on till the end of 7th grade.
By the end of the 7th grade I started wondering about this music my brother would play on his CD player (iPods weren't well known yet), and learned it was Paul McCartney's Back In The USA [2002] album, I remember hearing the songs "Eleanor Rigby" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" all the time. I enjoyed listening to it, and soon found out that he was one of The Beatles, who I only knew about because they were famous and didn't know much else than that, and my dad showed me the 1 album, an album consisting of all The Beatles' #1 hits. I soon got an iPod, and began listening to that album a whole lot, with my only thought about them being that they must have all been recorded in the same year (oh, little naive me haha). So, I liked the sound of The Beatles, but knew nothing of them. I didn't ask any questions till the summer after my 8th grade year. During the end of 7th grade and through 8th grade, I started to get my act together because I started to get a hold of myself and my suddenly apparent self-esteem and how low it was. It just so happened at this time that I started listening to a band that would get me into a deep and obsessive addiction with music.
During that summer before my Freshman year, I started training for Cross Country, a sport that I needed desperately to start so that I could shed all the fat off of me, and started to improve on my keyboard skills, I had been playing the piano since I was 8 but mostly played Hymns and Lesson Book songs, and how I used the keyboard. I became increasingly more interested in The Beatles, and wanted to listen to one of their actual albums, so at my grandparents' 50th anniversary, I asked my dad what was a good Beatles album to listen to, and he suggested Revolver. The image that came into my head was of those 4 mop-top Brits standing around a gun, and I had no idea what to expect. So, the next day my mother, brother, and I went to this city near our town to go shopping, and I decided to stop by the music store there so I could see if they had that album. They did.
I looked at The Beatles section of the music, and saw all the discs and was really only interested in Revolver, even though they had all the other classic albums there. So I picked up Revolver, and then noticed a colorful album that piqued my interest. It had psychedelic colors and I saw it had one of the tracks I enjoyed from the 1 album on there, "Penny Lane". So I picked it up along with Revolver and headed out to our car.
My mother and brother were still out shopping, so I just got in the car (I had the keys because she knew I'd be back to the car before they would be) and put Revolver in the CD player. I knew only two songs from the album, "Eleanor Rigby" and "Yellow Submarine", and I only knew of one Beatle, Paul McCartney. Everything about this album was unknown to me, and I didn't know what to expect. So, I sat in the sweltering heat of the day in the car and listened as the first track, "Taxman", started.
I didn't know really of what to make of the first few songs other then the two I had already known, but I was immensely interested in the sound they had, the sound I would later pick out to be a mix of rockish pop, and experimental psychedelic music. I then heard the song that really captivated me, "Good Day Sunshine". It had this sound that pulled me into it, and I remember sitting there being astounded by this band. I had heard the 1 album so many times, but since they (the songs) were never meant to be heard together, it never hit me about how a band could sound. I guess this one song really hit me because I had never really heard a piano play like this before, and never heard a band play so freely like this. All the artists I had listened to were stuck up pop singers, and nothing really complex went on with the music. This album somehow changed me, I can't really explain my thoughts during the time, but all I remember is that awesome moment of hearing a whole album, top to bottom, straight through, just as it was intended to be heard. I had never heard a whole album before that was actually meant to be all the songs fitted together. This was something new, and I became sucked into finding out more about it. I listened to the whole album in the car by myself in the Oklahoma heat with my ears opening up for the first time.
Magical Mystery Tour didn't have the same exact effect on me, but this was mostly due to the fact that I had to listen to it while heading home, through conversation and the sound of the car moving. After hearing music as it was supposed to be heard for the first time, I changed in mood and personality. As I dug deeper into The Beatles and their works, I began feeling dissatisfied with the bullshit I had to play at my music lessons, and was starting to become obsessed with not just listened to these songs, but playing them and playing like them.
The majority of people have an "addiction" with music, where they basically just feel the need to listen to it all the time and love it, but I feel that I have a different kind of addiction. Something more like an obsession, I have to hear new sounds and songs, and have to look deep into songs and how they were made. I want to hear all the instruments and voices, and most importantly, I wanted to play music, all the time. Ever since I heard Revolver, I wanted to make something like it. I began rebelling against the usual Piano etiquette, and started writing my own songs. I started to become addicted to playing my keyboard, always writing out notes and heading straight to where my keyboard was right when I got home. This didn't seem like just one of those normal "addictions", this was an obsession, something they should have a medical name for. I began to start needing to play and hear music 24/7. If I couldn't, I would hum a tune, or drum out rhythms, or even zone out from everything else so I could play the song in my head. This obsession, of course, was horribly balanced with school(along with my new internet addiction called The Rockhopper Trackers Bribble =P) , and while I was now fit, mellow, and friendlier, I still couldn't keep a straight A average, and by the end of my Freshman year I threw away my chances at being Valedictorian as my father had. (I still took, and still am taking, almost all the advanced courses and activities, which is why my summer isn't exactly a vacation.) I settled on being a A and B student.
Throughout the year, my collection of The Beatles grew, with my replacing of the 3 CDs I had previously owned (Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, and later on, Abbey Road) with the remasters. I gave those three albums to my friend, Robert, who didn't own any Beatles CDs(I kinda wish I had kept that copy of Revolver that changed me, but I know it did him good too), and I started collection books on the recordings and sessions (adding to my obsession with knowing what's going on with the music). During my Sophomore year, my music interest exploded, with me learning at great speed about all sorts of bands that I'm far too lazy to list out here.(Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Simon and Garfunkel, Electric Light Orchestra, James Taylor, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Arcade Fire, Beirut, Ingrid Michaelson, The Rolling Stones...etc. just to name a few) I started to expand my obsession to new areas. I also learned how to balance it with my education, and plan to make straight As in all my courses if Math and all my AP classes' allow it.

Revolver, an album made by a band over 40 years ago(music isn't bad just because it is old, kiddos), changed my whole direction in life. It opened a gate that showed me what I was meant to do, make music. I know it probably won't lead to a career that could pay the bills, but it will definitely be an extreme hobby, and if I can help it, I will try and make it big. I don't wanna be behind a desk doing paperwork so that I can live life, I wanna be in the studio making another Revolver so that some poor, depressed, bratty kid can listen to it and decide that maybe it all isn't as bad as it seems.

[The feeling of hearing an album for the first time like that is an experience that I only got to relive once more when I got the Mono Remasters for my birthday, and heard all the albums I knew all so well in a whole new way.]

So, in conclusion(you're not supposed to end an essay like that, by the way. English freaks don't approve), I guess anything can change your whole direction in life. Maybe it's a book you read, or maybe it's a show or movie you just happened to watch. For me, it's hearing true music for the first time in the way it was meant to be heard, with virgin ears and an open mind. Revolve was my eye opener to what I enjoy in life, and kept me from taking further steps toward suicide. Maybe we all have that moment in time when we find our calling, so feel free to post here about what pushed you to be who you are today. The accident that changed your life, whether it be the arts, sports, or even people you meet.

[on an unrelated note, I haven't figured out why I can't tab these paragraphs, so please excuse the messiness of it, also, it's 2AM in the morning]
Armageddon
TRT 'Python'
TRT 'Python'

Number of posts : 1075
Tracker Points : 4404
Registration date : 2008-11-12

http://fletchowns.net/what.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Day Sunshine

Post by Jordan101011 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:41 am

tl;dr.
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Number of posts : 980
Tracker Points : 4259
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:52 am

Jordan101011 wrote:tl;dr.

If you don't like what you see, then just leave.
Armageddon
TRT 'Python'
TRT 'Python'

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie'D on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 am

guess i'm still waiting for something or someone to change my prespective in life. you're lucky to have found it. also, this was a very inspirational "essay" (and thanks for the grammar note, almost did that mistake today). It's the longest post i've read, yet the most interesting.

On an unrelated note, wtf does "tl;dr" mean?
Cookie'D
Exotic Greek Maiden
Exotic Greek Maiden

Number of posts : 1296
Tracker Points : 3516
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 am

Thank you, CD. It usually happens when you least expect it :o

it means too long; didn't read, which is an unneeded post. Just tryin' to 'troll', he was.

Last edited by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Armageddon
TRT 'Python'
TRT 'Python'

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie'D on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am

Alas, when did you become so impolite jordan.
Cookie'D
Exotic Greek Maiden
Exotic Greek Maiden

Number of posts : 1296
Tracker Points : 3516
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:47 am

He was trying to mimic aco, I think.
Armageddon
TRT 'Python'
TRT 'Python'

Back to top Go down

Post by ponycrazy12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:09 am

1 was the first Beatles album I heard too Smile

OK I feel like I should post something about how I really got into music.

I'll start from the beggining.
From the age of about 12 I've always loved music, even though at that age I was listening to things like Leona Lewis, Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson.(and later JLS, Take That and Cascada)
So one day I asked my gran if I could borrow some of her albums to put on my mp3 player as I was running out of music to listen to that I liked.
So I chose an Elvis complitation album that I loved when I listened to it, a Dusty Springfield album which I did like but I wasn't too keen on the large orchestral parts as I preffered the guitars and stuff. And I also chose The Beatles 1 which sat, mainly unlistened to, for quite a long time in my mp3 player.
Then I got into Muse.
I can thankfully say that Twilight was not the first time I heard them,I'd heard them before on Formula 1, the Australian Grand Prix when Hysteria was played over the race and I honestly fell in love with it. (I had no idea it was Muse until I bought Absolution a few months later as Formula 1 doesn't tell you what track they're playing)
When I watched Muse play Supermassive Black Hole at Wembley on the Twilight dvd extras I immediately dismissed it,thinking they were just another rubbish heavy metal/rock band.(I've always hated heavy metal)
My dad played I Belong To You/Mon Coeur S'Ouvre a Ta Voix on youtube sometime later and I fell in love with that too but I had no idea it was Muse. In fact I only really got into Muse when my dad played Uprising on Facebook because a friend had sent it to him,so I bought The Resistance and my obsession started.

Ok one thing you should know about me is that when I really get into something,I really get into it,I have to learn everything about it. For example, with Muse I bought all of their albums and dvds,I devoured their wikipedia page,watched all the videos I could on youtube,read their biography etc.
So I could tell you now that Matt is very charismatic,he has great sense of humour,is quite shy and is very inteligent. (I could say loads more but I don't want to bore you)
Another example of that is when I got into Lord of The Rings,I learnt everything I possibly could about it,I even learnt some Sindarin (the elvish language)

Ok so I loved Muse (and still do) for about 1 1/2 years until I eventually listened to their music so much that I got tired of it and my next obsession became Queen.
I'll skip the details but you've pretty much got the idea of what I do when I get into something.

After Queen I got into The Doors,but that was quite brief because I turned my attention to *drumroll* The Beatles soon after.

The Beatles are my current obsession (I hate using that word,it makes me sound like I'm one of those psycho fans when I'm really not,I never have been and never will be but that's the only word I can think of to explain it)
Again, I won't bore you with the details.
But how much The Beatles have been in my life is kind of interesting.

Throughout all of my childhood (so far Razz ) I've had one of those memories that just sticks in your head even though you have no idea what it is or when it's from.
My memory is four cartoon men in dark suits on a stripy hill with tall men throwing apples down onto them and the cartoon scenery around them is very colourful.
I only found out a few days ago that that memory is in fact the only scene I can remember from The Beatles film, Yellow Submarine when I watched when I was about 4 Smile Also I used to love Thomas The Tank Engine 'til I was about 8 and I just found out that Ringo Starr was the narrorator! Very Happy
I'm quite pleased that The Beatles have been a part of my life,even if I had no idea at the time.
Oh yes and one more thing, Yellow Submarine used to be my personal anthem as a kid lol

So that's basically it,of course I love loads of other brilliant music that I can't be bothered to list now but I would never would have thought of listening to them for a second if it wasn't for my dad showing me them in the first place Smile

Sorry it's so long,I honestly didn't intend it to be so when I started lol I've just never been able to talk about music properly before as all of my friends have never heard of any music I like,apart from the famous ones e.g. The Beatles and Queen. And even with them they've only heard about 3 songs max. :/

Last edited by ponycrazy12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ponycrazy12
Master Tracker
Master Tracker

Number of posts : 740
Tracker Points : 4037
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am

I didn't mean to make mine long either (which i apologize for, jordan.), but it's okay because it's the blog entries.

I never really considered the 1 album to be my first album to hear by the Beatles because it's technically not an album by them. I'm not really obsessed with any band right now.

Last edited by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Armageddon
TRT 'Python'
TRT 'Python'

Back to top Go down

Post by ponycrazy12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 am

Armageddon wrote:I didn't mean to make mine long either (which i apologize for soo much, jordan.), but it's okay because it's the blog entries.

I never really considered the 1 album to be my first album to hear by the Beatles because it's technically not an album by them. I'm not really obsessed with any band right now.

Yeah 1 isn't really an album as such so I suppose technically I've never heard any of the Beatles albums, that will soon change though when I order 2 albums on the internet this week Smile I would get more but as The Beatles are so famous and popular the prices remain high,no matter how old the music is :/ a Doors album however is considerably less.

Well as I said, obsession is a bit extreme, I think "passionate" is a better word for it
ponycrazy12
Master Tracker
Master Tracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Armageddon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah, albums are pretty expensive nowadays, but sometimes it's worth it for the experience!
(One of my friends saw The Doors live back before they became famous at a small club, he said he was amazed by their performance of the song that would be known as "Light My Fire".)
Armageddon
TRT 'Python'
TRT 'Python'

Back to top Go down

Post by ponycrazy12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:08 am

Surprised wow, that's one priceless experience!
yup, for example I was looking in HMV the other day at the Beatles section and they had the white album for 28,it wasn't even a special edition! The other Beatles albums ranged from 18 to 27, insane prices for just an album.
ponycrazy12
Master Tracker
Master Tracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan101011 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh god, not aco... But I actually did read it. It was inspirational. Your life is influenced by the things you listen to/read.

I think the thing that changed me the most was my parents' divorce.. I wasn't really that different before, but it really had an impact on me. It was Only a year ago, but since then I've been generally nicer and more sympathetic towards people. I've never really talked about te divorce other than here though...
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ponycrazy12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Jordan101011 wrote:I think the thing that changed me the most was my parents' divorce.. I wasn't really that different before, but it really had an impact on me. It was Only a year ago, but since then I've been generally nicer and more sympathetic towards people.
I suppose that the good thing that comes out of these experiences we have (no matter how bad) is when it changes us for the better.
I've had the usual experiences for any kid,like when a grandparent dies, but I suppose when I think about it the experience that changed me most was when I was at school. Most of you know that I'm home educated but I went to school until I was 7 or 8 and the experience I had there was far from pleasent. Thousands of kids have probably had worse at school than I did but I've always been pretty sensitive and I've only properly gotten over it in the past year or so. It affected me pretty badly but as I've been brought up mainly around adults I'm a lot more mature than the average 14 year old if you know what I mean. (not that I'm saying 14 year olds are incredibly childish so please don't take offence if you're 14)
Jordan101011 wrote: I've never really talked about te divorce other than here though...
It is odd but I find it easier to talk to you guys than the people I know in real life (apart from my parents) lol weird huh?
ponycrazy12
Master Tracker
Master Tracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan101011 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Yeah, I'm the same. I'm more open on here than I am with most people, except my best friend.
Jordan101011
Migrator Mopper
Migrator Mopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Acdog on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Music has changed my life in so many ways. Too many to explain with a story. So I'll just write a poem. ;D

It's nineteen ninety-five,
a mom-to-be and dad-to-be are on a fateful drive.

A black Tranzam roars through the night,
passing all the city lights.

The stereo jams, someone puts in a CD.
Most people call this disk Led Zeppelin III.

The car arrives at its destination,
with little to no anger or frustration.

A baby is born,
then torn between two sides.

Battles, lawyers, debt.
In the end, it works out for the best.

musicyaaaaaaaaaay. [B
Acdog
Migrator's First-Mate
Migrator's First-Mate

Number of posts : 2131
Tracker Points : 5105